Wednesday, October 3, 2007

strange week

I was on my way to thinking this was my last week on 2nd shift....arg...I have to work 1 week more....then this week got strange. I worked 2nd shift Sun and Mon and have to work 1st shift on Wednesday. Working days on Thursday and leaving midday for Stuarts Draft (near Charlottesville). I am working Thurs and Fri night there...they have a training session and need people to work. They came and did the same for us, so we are repaying the favor. Then I drive back Saturday.

Then about an hour before the end of our shift on Monday night (technically 1am Tuesday morning), one of my team members got his foot smashed between 2 forklifts and had to go to the hospital by ambulance. I went with him and his family couldn't get there until 830am, so I stayed with him for a few hours in the ER and waited while he had surgery to repair it. My boss came to the hospital, too and about 730/800 we were able to leave. We had to drive back to the building to get my car and then I drove home. I got here at 9am...So after going to work at 2pm, I got home at 9am the next morning. I slept until 3 and fell asleep again at 930p...now I can't sleep....nice....since I have to be at work at 8am. It was a pretty gruesome looking injury and I have absolutely no idea how I didn't get sick, or even nauseous...Mom said it's that "Mommy thing"....I was actually was fine until they said that they had to give him nausea meds with the morphine. I told here she definitely had to give him that because him throwing up would send me over the edge (I can be a sympathy puker) :-)

So, my only day off this week conistented of exactly 5.5 hours of being awake, 3.5 of which I spent running Sammy to a check up and on the phone with work about the accident. So needless to say, not much laundry or anything will get done this week. I'll be home Saturday afternoon, but we have a 3 hour drive home after we get up....then back to work Sunday afternoon....crazy.

I have to spend next week transitioning my replacement to my team and then on the 15th officially start my job. I also found out that I am responsible for the 3 admin assistants that work for the senior management team....I don't have to write their reviews, but am responsible for developing them...so it's not quite the "nobody reporting to me" job I thought, but they are great at their jobs, so hopefully it won't be too hard.

and this was the weekend I should have gone to vegas, so i'm sad about that....

3 comments:

  1. I think when it comes to work and emergency situations, our adreneline gets the better of us and we just take care of the situation. Kind of like a shopping trip we once took to Trader Joe's. Every once in a great while, I think about that guy and wonder if I really helped him at all. I'd like to think so. It's funny what happens internally when faced with terrifying situations. Good Job, Andrea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! You made me tired just reading about your week.

    I'm sure your co-worker, his family, and your boss, were grateful for your assistance and presence.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you had a good time in charlottesville! :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger