Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Friends

As I reflect on our life in Virginia and where opportunities with our jobs might take us in the next few years, I feel very sad about the possibility about moving away from here.

My family is extremely important to me and I miss them all of the time. But we have developed another family here in Virginia. I have found it easy to connect with so many people that we have met here. I can't imagine life now without Tana, Ryan, Lisa, Mike, Doug, Greta, Scott, Diane, Leanne, Tony, Kate, Mike, Dawn, Jim, Fran, and everyone else....there are so many. Many people I have met only this year... Can you believe that Leanne and Tony we only met a few months ago? It seems that we have known each other forever and it makes me sad to think that someday would could not easily get together.

As I think about having to consider where jobs will take us, it's makes me almost nauseous to think about consciously making a decision to leave here.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to leave this area, but if I have to move for my job, I would rather move toward my family rather than plop down in the middle of some uninteresting state where I know no one.

I don't know what will happen over the next year, but I do know I am going to cram in as many fun and exciting times as I can. After spending the day at the airport this weekend with our friends, I know that even though Iowa is home, wherever these friends all end up, being with them will always be home, too.

4 comments:

  1. wow. i can totally relate to your post. i am so sad about leaving so many people we've met here ... and i've only been living here for two years! i'm a bit scared about finding new friends in texas and would give anything to be headed back to family and ohio instead.

    that being said, it's also exciting to know we have an opportunity to explore a new area of the country. when we first found out we were going to the houston area, i was not happy but so excited. my family was confused about how you could have one without the other, but i definitely think happiness comes with community, family, friends and security. we have none of that in texas, so happiness may take some time. maybe you can understand what i mean by that.

    i'm sure wherever jobs take you, you'll meet all sorts of new and interesting people. and you'll stay in touch with your friends here and always be a plane ride away :)

    i think that's the only thing keeping me together right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. Dawn's family has become my family. We go to every little celebration and I love it. It is sad to think we may leave next year, and exciting as well. However, there has been some hope that we will stay and I try hard not to cling too tightly, because we may have to move. I have said many times I have my Schmid/Kristianson family, my Skophammer family and my Virginia family, and it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, we couldn't imagine our time here in VA without you and Brad either. Some of our fondest memories and get togethers have involved you two. The nice thing is that we have a really good chance of following you guys around for a while, no matter where you move. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You shouldn't move... until you're ready. Love you, AK

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger