So it's no secret that I'm a huge Kurt Warner fan...For those of you who don't know, let me catch you up on a few of my "Kurt highlights".
My high school friend, Korina has a cousin named Paul. He played at Northern Iowa at the same time Kurt was there. We got to go on the field and take pictures with the players and talk to them. Even though Kurt didn't really play until his last season there, for some reason, he was always my favorite...Probably because of how personable and gracious he was. So I followed him through Arena and Europe and when he got cut from the Packers. He was out of football for a while...
When he ended up with the Rams I was really happy...and for the record, I was not a Rams fan...just a Kurt fan...But had to cheer for the Rams because he played there. (Unless of course they were playing the Cowboys, then I deferred to bleeding blue and silver). Seeing him win the Super Bowl was unbelievable. One week during the playoffs (this was when we still lived in Iowa) we went to a Northern Iowa football game. I was looking up the seats to something on the wall when I spotted Kurt about 5 rows behind us. Noone really saw that he was there, and I had a UNI program that had his picture in it...So being the shy person I am, I went up to him and told him how happy I was for him and that I followed him all the way from Northern Iowa. He was truly as nice as I remembered and engaged me in conversation for a few minutes. Then he signed my program and went back to my seat. A few minutes later, they announced that he was there and he got swarmed and not everyone was able to get an autograph before the half was over.
So then the end of his era with the Rams came...and his trip to Arizona...I'll be the first to say... I haven't been overly optimistic about how his career would turn out there and always have pulled from him...even when Brad would say, Honey, this isn't going to go well.....and sometimes it hasn't. But being the nerd I am, I tried to show my loyalty in some way, despite thinking that the Cardinals wouldn't really get anywhere, I have drafted Kurt every year in my fantasy league. I have definitely taken some heat for what some people thought was misplaced loyalty and have written him off.
So fast forward to the playoffs 08-09...I'll have to say I didn't think the Cards would get this far. So after my 'boys ducked out, the Cards were my pick in the NFC (no matter how under of an underdog they were) and the Steelers were my pick in the AFC. Yesterday I cheered for Kurt in my somewhat worn out Rams Warner jersey and then for Pittsburgh in my Polamalu t-shirt (he's my favorite Steeler). But once the game was over, our house became divided.
I have searched for more than a year for a women's Arizona Cardinals Kurt Warner jersey and apparently they didn't make them...even Reebok didn't think he would be where he is...so last night I logged on after the game and much to my happiness...they apparently ordered a finite number of them for the Super Bowl and I snatched up one right away...as of tonight, they don't have them for sale anymore... I'm guessing they sold out. Glad I got it when I did!
So it's a divided Dellit house for this Superbowl. Brad in his Steelers jersey, me in my Warner jersey. Not the team I wanted to be playing the Steelers, but I'll take it!
I misplaced my picture with Kurt Warner from 1993..but as soon as I find it, I'll post it!
GO CARDINALS!

No comments:
Post a Comment