Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Patriot Day

Remembering with a heavy heart ....

...exactly where I was 6 years ago today. I was at work...My 2nd day on the job in Virginia. We had only been in Virginia 8 days. I read an article yesterday in USA Today about how some people think that we are forgetting about what happened, about their loved ones. Well, I remember...I remember like it was yesterday. On Veteran's Day in 2001 we visited the Pentagon....This year we visited Ground Zero....One day, we'll get to PA....I still remember how much I hurt for those people who were there, those who died, and those they left behind.

I remember how scary it was

I remember how heart sick and horrible I felt watching the TV

I remember thinking how eery it was that there were no planes in the sky at all.

I remember the sense of unity I felt driving with my big American flag on the window of my car.

I remember when I renew my license plates that say "United We Stand".

I remember flying home at Christmas in 2001 and being more scared that the plane would fly into a building instead of being scared the pilot might crash.

I remembered each time I got on a plane this summer and had to go through security and take off my shoes.

I remembered when we visited the Pentagon and thought about the people who kissed their loved ones goodbye and simply, went to work.

I remembered when we visited NYC and I looked around and tried to fathom people running up those streets for their lives.

I remembered when I realized what time it was in NY. People just like us were doing exactly what we were doing that day at almost that same time.

I remembered when I saw the movie World Trade Center.

I remember when I fly and think that a plane like ours hit the ground, the WTC, and the Pentagon.

I remember when I hear about Iraq, Pakistan, or Afghanistan.

I remember when I hear about how many people have died in this war.

I remember....

2 comments:

  1. Nice; well said. Gave me goose bumps. Too many people do forget though, or become indifferent or apathetic to it all. I think the media should show the video of the planes hitting the towers every day to serve as a reminder. Definitly the most surreal day of my life; and I can only hope I never witness anything to top it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope people don't forget...I really don't see how...Very surreal day for me, too. Even though the week before I moved "away from home", I never felt scared or that the world was unsafe until that day...I do hate that people seem to go on and dismiss what's going on in the world. I heard someone say on the radio the other day....We had 1 Sept 11th...Innocent people in places like Iraq & lots of other countries have one every day...their supermarkets, schools, houses blown up at any time....Sad...

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger