Tuesday, September 11, 2007

the longest security line known to man, 4 airports, 3 time zones, 4 planes, 34 degrees, 12.5 hours, 1 book, lots of NWA miles, and MNF

Whew--- what a day! Who knew this day would be so full of events...how do you spend your Mondays? Well, this week we decided to spend it traveling across 3/4 of the country...We set off this morning at 630am (MT)/ 830am (EST) from our hotel in Colorado.

(We had a GREAT Sunday in Denver---I will post the pics later)

The temp on Saturday in Colorado was 85 with NO humidity--heavenly! -- And today when we left it was 49 degrees on the way to the airport. We got there 1.5 hours before our flight. We checked in online (and good thing) because we just dumped our bag and headed for security. Or so we thought....There were several zig zags (like at amusement park ride lines) and then the line went around the corner...so down the hall we walked...and it went down that small hall and around the corner...and it went waaaayyyyy down the hall past FOUR baggage carousels! It was a 40 minute wait to GET to security. {For those of you who have flown out of Cedar Rapids or Norfolk...it would be the eqivalent of the line being from security to where you pay to get out of the parking lot--no joke--that many people} -- And of course that didn't count the tram ride to the concourse that was the farthest away.. I can't tell you how many people said they fly out of Denver all of the time and have never seen it like that before. Thank goodness we got there early---Strangely, even though it was very early in the morning and it wasn't going how we planned, we must be seasoned travelers, because we were relatively unfazed...

We took a 2 stop flight to save money--was still a great move, even though the day was long--We went to MSP first and then to Detroit and then to Norfolk....4 airports, 3 time zones in 1 day.

In Detroit, they changed our gate from the original one from A4 to A63, so off we went...Except when we got to A63, there were 3 fire trucks, 1 ambulance, 2 other rescue trucks and a Detroit police car....so we went around the corner to see if they were for sure parked at our plane...yep...and the firemen were coming out of the tail end of the plane with a crow bar...hmmmmmm...so then the lady said "you may have noticed the emergency vehicles"....No! We are all gawking out the window at the neato plans taking off...."they had some smoke on the plane and we'll be changing gates" ...well, I hope so! So an hour late we got out of Detroit while they tried to fix the electrical problem on our original plane.

We got to MSP and Detroit and they were in the 50s...we landed in Norfolk...home sweaty home...83 and humid, humid, humid...and it was dark...no sun! A 34 degree swing from this morning in CO...I was shivering in my sandals in CO and sweating in my sweatshirt at home...

The flights were evenly spreadout...Enough time to get where we were going..we were able to eat dinner, but didn't have to sit too long...After this long day, we proved again that we are seasoned travelers...we were a little tired, but not knocked out by this long trip.

I read another book on this trip...The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews...Becky, I think I might send it to you if you haven't read it...you would like it....It's about 7 decisions to make your life successful..No, I'm not a self-help geek, as Tiff and Kate would probably say...I'm just on a life long journey of self-improvement....never settle...

So more than 1000 flier miles each and after 830pm we finally got home...And got to Sammy..of course he was happy to see us. And we were excited to see him :-) Turns out he was very good for the Halls next door. Sounds like all 3 pups got along great...Thanks again for watching him!

Ended the night watching 2 Monday Night Football games...since I work on Monday nights, this will probably be the first and last MNF I get to see!

It's nice to be home, but with all of the traveling we have done this summer, it feels good to be wherever friends and family are.....In VA, IA or if we meet somewhere else....I'm starting to feel at home no matter where we are. Now, if I could just figure out how to do my job, do laundry, and mow the lawn from anywhere in the US......

2 comments:

  1. um...i'm not sure self-improvement is much better....=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well..it's better than leading a miserable life, wishing things were better, like a lot of people I know...This way, I am learning to be a better person every day and learning to make better decisions....I can live with the stigma :-) I'd rather live with that than a mediocre, unhappy life.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger