Monday, August 18, 2008

More adventures

Over the 4th of July we went to Charleston, SC for the weekend. We had a couple of airline vouchers that we had to use by August and somehow going to Charleston was actually a reasonable price!

If you ever have the chance to go there, it's a must do! It was fantastic! This is one of those trips that I would usually not repeat, I'd go somewhere else to see. However, Charleston has so much history and was so beautiful that I would love to go back...in fact, we are! Read on....

Thursday
We walked downtown...2.3 miles...we walked through the College of Charleston and just browsed around. Then we found a nice restaurant on the water called Fleet Landing. Then we browsed back to our hotel...another 2.3 miles...and admired the architecture and the beautiful weather.

Friday
We went to breakfast on the waterfront right under the bridge and then on a harbor tour. We saw Fort Sumter and other things on the coast of Charleston. We also saw the Cooper River Bridge from the boat which was AMAZING! It's been on one of those top 10 bridge shows on the Discovery Channel. It has a pedestrian/bike lane and right when I told Brad that I SO wanted to walk across, right then they told us about a 5k that people run in April of each year. He looked at me and said "we're coming back, aren't we?" and I said YEP! I talked to Tiffany about meeting us there in April for that weekend because they only live a couple of hours away.


Cooper River Bridge

We saw the USS Yorktown...Dad, this ship was in the movie Tora!, Tora!, Tora! :)
We also went on a carriage ride around town and SO much about the history. There are so MANY things that are interesting about the buildings there.


After dinner we hung out in the pool and in the harbor across the street, there was a boat that was playing patriotic music with it's horn. Here's my videos:

Boat Music There are two videos from Charleston here, but one is still uploading...so hopefully when you go look at it, they will both be there.



Saturday
We slept in, and went to the market...a big open air market with a lot of vendors and craftsmen...it was GREAT!
Check out my album of pics on Facebook: Even if you don't have FB, you should be able to see them.


Charleston Pics I

Charleston Pics 2


Cooper River Bridge


Fort Sumter and me



Great palm trees on King Street



Great architecture



A great house. These houses all have side porches...the door on the front is there because in the old days, it meant the owners were accepting friends if it was open and not accepting if it was closed. Also, the ceiling of the porches are light blue to trick ghosts at night. If they see that, then they are to think they see the blue sky and shouldn't come out..it was all very interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Charleston is one of my favorite cities. I really hope that Mike and I get stationed there at least once in our CG time ... but everyone wants to go there and it's hard to get it! We just keep our fingers crossed :)

    PS. There's a little island across a bridge (not sure if it's cooper) called Isle of Palms. It's really pretty and the beach is good. You should stop by in April if you have time :)

    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=&city=isle%20of%20palms&state=SC&zipcode=&icid=rbox_cities.M

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger