The Five Sullivan Brothers Memorial 5k was on Saturday. I actually ran a few days the last couple of weeks and was happy that I got to do that much! Then Friday happened....I ended up being at work until 2:30am to help with some testing. I was to run at 9am. I got to bed about 3:30am (I had to eat, since I wouldn't be eating before the race). I woke at 7am when work called.
As I rolled out of bed, I told Brad maybe this is a sign I shouldn't be doing this. After all, he had gone to pick up Dad and I's race packets and they didn't have my registration. Ugh. What?!
But I put on my HR monitor, my Nike Vomeros, and the Nano and we all headed to downtown. It was a great race to be a part of, given the sacrifice of the Sullivan family. One of the granddaughters of the Sullivan brothers was there and spoke before the race....it was hard to not be emotional. Lots of Navy cadets were there as part of their training.
I just thought, if our service members can do what they do every day, I can suck this up and run this 3.1 miles. I could see Dad in front of me, so I kept pushing. When I got a block from the finish line, a friend from work, Dale had already finished the 10k and spotted me. He started cheering me on and then ran with me for almost a block! How cool is that?! You'll have to wait for pictures until my mom sends them, because I forgot our camera.
It wasn't my best race, but here's my racing philosophy for those who aren't familiar:
- I'm the slowest runner I know....maybe ever in my age group...and it's ok
- I'm only competing against myself, my asthma, and my pesky elevated heart rate
- I don't care if I finish last, as long as I finish.
- It's nice to beat and improve my times, but it's not always going to happen
- I learn something during every race; about myself, strides, pacing, music choices, tips from others, or whatever. I have a memory from every race that helps me the next time.
- Even if I don't beat my good times, I have done more on a race day than 99% of people will do all week.
Don't get me wrong, I haven't lost my competitive self (when it comes to everything else I'm fiercely competitive) I am just aware of medical limitations I have: My asthma does make breathing harder than for most poeople and my heart rate, well, if I don't take proper precautions, it could literally kill me. And I am realistic: You cannot log fantastic times when you are fatigued, under trained, over worked, under rested, and aren't eating well. I've run enough races now, that I know pretty much where I will fall with time based on how I have been feeling and taking care of myself all week.
So I know some very avid runners; a couple who will run all the way through this brutal winter I'm sure we'll have. It's not an ideal time to start getting my run on again, but I'm starting to have more time. I was thinking, gosh,I might not be able to run much, until I talked to a few people who run unless it's really icy. I have no excuse. I have enough clothes to run when it's zero. So I shall.
After an adjustment and massage tomorrow (I am horridly out of alignment after last week & the race), I will be hitting the pavement again. I am trying to decide if I will do the Snow Shuffle in December.
I think we all know the answer. :)
And since I agree with Becky that posts are boring without pictures, here you go:
-- It doesn't matter if I finish last, as long as I finish --
(The finish line at the Park to Park 5k in September)

you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, it is hard to work full time, and then more even, and do all the proper things to be prepared for any race the point is yuou are doing it!!!!
ReplyDeleteWe are so proud of you and yes even envious I would love to be able to get up and run, when I am on the treadmill I get bored so easily so somehow I have to get past that any suggestions???
Again we are proud of you and all that you do do!!!!
Miss yiu too you know!!!
xoxoxoxoxo
oops misspelled you sorry
ReplyDeleteSomeday I'd like to be a runner...until then I'll just envy people like you!
ReplyDeleteWay to go!
more power to you Dre for keeping up with it! you rock!
ReplyDelete