Monday, September 7, 2009

Go fast! Go left!

Ahhhhh.....the smell of racing fuel......it's been more than a year since we have been to a race. We unfortunately didn't make it to the NASCAR races in Richmond last year and were not able to make it to the Newton NASCAR race last month. Earlier in the summer I was reminded that there are several race tracks in Iowa, and I have been wanting to go for a while. When we lived here before, in college, all we did was work, eat, and go to school, and it's been kind of fun rediscovering the fun things there are to do here.


Benton County Speedway in Vinton, IA

There are 2 race tracks (that I know of) within 40 minutes of us. Going to a race isn't quite as fun unless you have someone to cheer for. A guy I work with, Jim, I found out has been racing at these 2 tracks for several years. We went to the race last weekend to check it out. Jim ended up exiting the race early (flat tire I think).

So tonight we went back to the track and saw some great racing. Jim came in 5th in his race and the other races were very competitive--great racing!

The 00 is the car on the left

(my date on my camera is apparently off!)


Afterwards we went to the pits to talk with him. I didn't hear, but Jim told Brad that I should get in the car and of course, Brad thought that was a GREAT idea and next thing I know, he's pulling me around the car. I find race cars fascinating, (I was mesmerized when I got to go to the pits at a Richmond NASCAR race) but climbing in is a tad intimidating. The space to crawl in is certainly not a large one!

So, Dukes of Hazzard style, I climbed into the car. Jim showed me around the inside, turning everything on for me. Then...he told me to "push that button"....and the car started! What an adrenaline rush! I can only imagine driving that thing around a track!



I just wish I had realized the great racing that is around here earlier in the season! It's almost over....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger