Thursday, December 31, 2009

Iowa Curiosities & Dellit adventures

On Monday night, Dani and Bobby stayed over night for a sleepover since they were on break from school. My dad called on Monday night and said that he and Mom were going to Marshalltown in the morning to see a dog (Mom is on the hunt for a rescue) and he asked if we wanted to come.

This sparked a whole day of adventure.

I got Brad this book for Christmas. Since we want to see as much of what Iowa has to offer as we can, I thought this would be a nice addition to our travels.

The kids have no certain time to be home, so in the truck we hop, with Bob behind the wheel...

We decide to meet my parents at Grandpa's in Gladbrook, and then follow them to Marshalltown. Since we couldn't get together for Christmas, we took Grandpa one of his gifts....

When we got to M-town, we went to the rescue league and visited dogs (heart melting.....) and then to eat lunch with Jessica and Curt at Applebees. We told them about our intentions at side tracking a bit on the way home to see our first "Curiosity" from the book. (Brad scoped the Marshalltown section of the book; We now consult the book and the atlas every time we leave town). Well, they both have seen it and assured us it was nothing exciting....And of course, we went anyway.

Well in true Dellit style, we made funny memories while visiting the site, even though the site itself was relatively uneventful. We were in Toledo, at the corner of 30 & 63 at the Bronze Cow & Calf, made in honor of the lady who makes the butter cows at the state fair.

The statue is at the very top of a hill, that has no sidewalk or anything and has a snow bank completely surrounding it. So, Bob and Dani have no boots, so how do we get around this? Brad goes first and makes big shoe prints, carrying Dani the whole way. Bob and I follow in his footsteps. How none of us fell, I will never, ever know. The adventure up and down the hill was as fun and funny as the cow and calf themselves.


Brad and Dani on the way down the hill

The sign at the top of the hill


Who doesn't want their picture taken with a bronze cow...don't be jealous.


We can't let the fun end there...we stop back to see Grandpa again for a bit and then head out because the dogs are probably close to crossing their legs by this time.

We are passing through Traer on the way home, and we decide that Dani and Bob need to see the winding stairs in Traer? Why? Because it will probably make a good story later on...Besides, who doesn't want to see the winding stairs...again, stop with the jealousy...


4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you took pictures with that cow. We saw the footprints in the snow going up to it... I half expected one or all of you to be getting booked into my jail... Your messing with a County icon there... Watch yourselves! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cow pictures! No one out here believed me about the Butter Cow so I had to get my picture taken with it one year when I went back. Oh the things Iowa is famous for!!! I look forward to your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! Jess, did you know it was us?

    Melissa, can you believe I've never seen the butter cow?! I need to fix that this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course... There is NEVER footprints going up to that thing!! lol

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger