Day 4...Your parents
Some facts and (mostly) childhood memories --
My Dad:
- Most people know he is a police officer and EMT
- I have always thought he has the most cool, most stressful job in the world
- I remember standing up to 3 or 4 bullies in high school because they gave me a hard time about my dad being a cop. I think I surprised them when I pushed one of them against a locker. I didn't often hear about it after that. :)
- I still love the fried potatoes he made us as a kid
- One of my favorite things about my dad is how even when he was working, he would make time to come to my sporting events, and music events. Even though sometimes he got called out and had to leave, the fact that he told work he had to take time out to come, meant the world. It was a super cool bonus that he worked within the county so he could attend events that were all over Grundy County
- I haven't thought about the worms we hunted in the yard until I read Jessica's blog. It makes me laugh -- I only kind of liked fishing (I loved just being outside) but I thought it was so cool how we used to go out and dig in the mud to get them so he could go fishing. I thought it was so amazing how dad knew the worms came out right after it rained. Actually, a few times when it rained and the worms were all over the sidewalk, I'd think about those nights in the yard with the flashlight.
- I've always admired how my dad stands up for himself and fights for what is right. Justice is important to him and I know that's where I got my passion for it.
- I've also always admired how he thinks of others. Many years, I have received funny birthday songs when he bounced me out of bed or funny messages on the morning of my birthday. We didn't have much money growing up, and I could always tell how proud he was after saving up money for months and months to get us nice things we wanted for Christmas.

- I am so proud of how he has been taking care of himself and got into running with me. It's always nice to have someone share the torture with you. :)
My Mom:
- My mom works as a trainer for a company I used to work for. Training people is her gift.
- She used to work at a convenient store when I was younger and I got to spend a few overnight shifts with her. It was so fun to do some of the store chores with her and see how many people actually come in to the store in the middle of the night!
- She makes the best mints, ever. She has made mints for weddings an
d graduations for as long as I can remember. She made them for my graduation and my wedding. They are the best. She recently made them for my sister's wedding and she had to make a triple batch to meet before and after wedding demand, in addition to the big day. - My mom has had to overcome a lot of adversity in her life. She did not have an easy childhood but has been extremely successful in making her life better year after year.
- I couldn't not be a cop's wife like my mom. My poor heart could not take the stress and the unknown. She has been so supportive, even though she worries, too, but I admire what she can handle.
- My mom makes the best Italian chicken. For our birthdays my mom would ask what we wanted to eat, and usually the answer was her Italian chicken. Yum. She first introduced me to Zesty Italian dressing. It's one of my favorite foods.
- I'm grateful that my mom comes to me and Dad's 5k races so that we have photographic evidence of our insanity
My parents have always wanted me to have better than they had. As I've gotten older they have celebrated all of the great things that I have had in my life and I am grateful.

No comments:
Post a Comment