So, my "runner friends" convinced me that I can run a 3 mile race...Now remember, the last time I ran before 2008 was in HS or college for the fitness tests...I don't count running bases in softball as real running. I started running on the treadmill because I got bored walking and riding the bike at the gym. Before I knew it, I could run 2 miles in 30 minutes. Those runner friends were encouraging of the running and my buying my heart monitor to keep good track of my heart (so not to wear it out prematurely) and about my getting in shape....They told me about 5k and 8k races (which I had no idea how far they were....). When I found out 5k was 3 miles...I thought, I can run 3 miles if I'm already running 2!
So I signed up for a 5k race in May. I am starting my training this week. I took Tana's advice and went to Running, Etc. where they video tape your stride and recommend the right shoe for you. I also bought a new iPod shuffle and gave Bradley my other one...Now with my music, shoes and heart monitor, I'm ready to go! Ironically, I couldn't decide between 2 pair of shoes and the guy remembered that a higher end pair was on sale and I got these great pink and gray shoes for $40 off! Seriously....I must be crazy....
The coolest part about it is the race is to raise money for a cancer organization that provides free services to cancer patients. My friend Cindy passed away from cancer last year and I would love to run the race in her memory...what a great 1st race...And my LIVESTRONG bracelet is always a reminder that now matter how tired or bad I might feel while training, it's nothing compared to what she endured.
The race is on May 31st and I am trying to raise donations for the organization. More to come on how to donate.
Lee's Friends
Run on the Wild Side

"So, my "runner friends" convinced me that I can run a 3 mile race..." Aaaahhhhh! That's me!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I LOVE the FG quote!
Let's go running on Saturday morning!!!
I am so impressed... keep us posted! ;-)
ReplyDelete