Friday, February 1, 2013

Home Stretch

We met our adoption worker about 2 weeks ago and he takes over our case from here on out.  We first have to hit our 6 month mark of the kids living with us, which happens tomorrow!  Next we have to secure a lawyer (which I never realized we needed - that was one thing we were told we didn't need...but oh well).

The worker who is transitioning off the case was at the meeting and let me know we have a review hearing on 2/28/13 already so we are all hoping we can get the paperwork done and shipped around and back for that hearing. DHS can start processing our paperwork after tomorrow, so we'll see if the rat race can meet our desires!

I am already planning a party for our friends and family, but probably not until March. I have to find the time to be able to do it, and I'm hoping to do it during spring break, so nobody has school, including me.

I also am going to start using a notes app on my phone to jot down great moments or things they say so I can recall them to blog. Here are some recent ones: 
  • Even though Little Man is potty trained except for his night time pull up, he has been inconsistent about  making good decisions to get to the bathroom when he is playing and other times.  So this week after 2 accidents in one day at day care, we reviewed our 3 daily reminders:
    • Be a good listener
    • Always tell the truth
    • Go potty in the toilet
I felt the need to review that his pants are NOT considered an acceptable toilet. So I tacked on a new saying to his favorite, "No more ackidents!" with "My pants are not a toi-let". So I repeat: You will go potty because....And he jumps in "MY PANTS ARE NOT A TOILET". It's pretty hilarious and I need to get a video.

  • This week Sweet Pea told me that she is going to be a rock star when she grows up. She keeps making up songs for everything and like her momma, can't get enough of music. She did not say she wants to be, but she will be one. I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be cool if that happened. Hahaha.
  • Little Man is super snuggly. What great moments. These are the ones that make me want to do this. For me and for them.
  • We have told the kids that they will be adopted, hopefully in February. She wants it to hurry up and get here because she "can't wait anymore" (Yeah, she's my kid - 0 patience) and wants to change her last name to Dellit. I have described it to her as this: We are your forever family, but we have to go see the judge and tell him what it's been like living with all of us and that you are ok with us being your mommy and daddy forever. Her response: "Will he then tell you to sign here". She is so freaking smart.
  • He also knows that he will be adopted and keeps saying his name and adds DELLIT at the end. He can actually say Dellit better than his real first name or middle names. We are still torn as to what to do here with his name. His name is a bit, out of the norm - Usually I'm ok with that, but I want to ensure it doesn't complicate his life. We knew we would be dropping at least one of his middle names but I also want to keep part of his history. It's extremely important to me. Jessica made a great suggestion, so we are simmering on her suggestion because we both like it. Alot.
  • She has really turned into a girly girl. She likes to play dress up and got lots of cool outfits from Dani that she just loves. She also has has gotten him into. He thinks it's cool to dress up in high heels and fling around pom-poms.
Pictures soon; promise.

I also am still working on my MBA, and volunteering a lot. I am actually headed to Dallas next week for a Alz Assoc leadership conference and I am stoked. Both about it being warm and the conference itself.

Brad is doing well - Working as usual and settling into being a dad. He is really liking a trauma training we are doing through our foster/adopt support group. It's a fabulous training and we are getting a lot of out it.

People have asked if we will stop after this adoption. We haven't made any definite plans out loud, but I don't think we are done. But we have to be selective while I'm in school to make sure we can accommodate any kiddo(s) who needs us. We'll see what happens. Brad did ask for a break for a bit -- I think I can give him one - it's well deserved.

3 comments:

  1. I need to see that video of little man saying that!! love it:)
    Was just thinking today that your date is HERE!!! YAY! So excited for you guys - wish we could be there to be cheering you on - but know that we are!! :) ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I will be stealing that line...'My pants are not a toilet!'...as I start potty training Tori!
    And you thought you'd never give ME parenting advice! ha!!!

    Cant wait to PAR--TAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah for updates! I love that things are moving along. I hope to get to read that the adoption is finalized sometime soon.

    I was thinking about little man's name the other day. I wonder if he'd be up for choosing his own new first name (since they both seem keen on new last names) and keeping his current name as a middle name? Or maybe let sister make some suggestions for names? I wouldn't think it would be a traumatic thing and would probably help avoid bullying/teasing (and job hunting) problems in the future. Just my two cents (and as a teacher who has had to see the effects of different/odd names on the psyche of kids).

    Just so you know, I had a new name at my adoption. My parents created a hybrid name for me that had a shadow of my old, Korean name--Nam Suk combined with my birth place Song Tan. Combined with Samantha, they came up with Tanamatha. Yup, it is just strange enough for me to know how it feels to have an odd name, but I love that my parents felt it important to give me a new identity while still retaining my cultural heritage, and it makes a great ice breaker conversation piece for, not to mention a memorable name on a resume ;)

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger