Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Judgement

Back in September we went to court for a big, big day. All I can really say is that everyone involved with the kids recommended that the kiddos stay with us, except for one person. Because that person did not agree we had to do a mini trial in September. If the judge ruled one way, Sweet Pea would stay but Little Man would go. If he ruled the other way, they both stay. The biggest factor here for everyone was keeping them together since they are so close as they are brother and sister and have been close their whole lives. There were even some of their family members who felt it was best they be adopted by us.

So on Monday, December 3rd, I was sitting in a meeting with my department at work. I saw my phone ring and saw it was the social worker. Then I saw she left a voicemail. We deal more with family support workers than the social worker so I got a huge pit in my stomach that this might be the call we were waiting for. I stepped out of the room to listen to the voicemail. All I heard were the magical words I had been waiting for. I listened to the rest of the message but didn't really listen. One of my peers who I am friends with, was in the conference room next to ours and I waved him over. He asked if I was ok and looked very worried. I told him it was about the kids. He got a look of panic and asked if it was good news or bad news. I gave him a thumbs up and he flashed a huge smile. I had no idea what the rest of the message said, I was shaking so bad.

I darted into a conference room and shut the door and started bawling. I could barely figure out how to work my phone in order to call Brad. I finally figured it out and called him, trying not to be hysterical. Mom and Tiff didn't answer but luckily Dad and Jessica did. I got myself back together and went back to my meeting.

On my way to a group meeting for my MBA class, I called Bob first. Bob and I had this deal since he was like 7 that when I was going to have a baby, I would call him first. While I forgot to call him ahead of my family, I made sure my first call out of the meeting was to him. Luckily he answered the phone.  I called several of my girlfriends on my way to the meeting.  And then before I went in to meet my group, I listened to the whole message. It outlined what happens next:

  • The judge ruled the kids would not go home
  • There was now a 15 day appeal window. I someone appeals, (which isn't expected) then it goes to the appellate court who has either 60 or 90 days to review it. She said she hasn't ever seen a case overturned. Which does not mean it wouldn't happen.
  • If no one appeals, then we switch social workers to an adoption worker
  • We can set a date for adoption sometime after February 4th. (This is because they have to live with us for 6 months before we can adopt them - Our 6 months is up on 2/4/13)
So for now, we wait again....with fingers, toes and everything else crossed.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Will be praying as things move along!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Can't wait to hear the next step has been accomplished! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I'm assuming there was no appeal? And the children now have a REAL, LOVING family and home! :-) What a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I haven't been on your blog for awhile but I'm so happy for you and Brad. Those kids are so lucky to have you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, ladies!

    Aunt K - No appeal! I just updated with a new post!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger